Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Looooooong Hallway...and Biscuits

This was a first for me. I've never had a long (loooonnnngggg) front hallway before. So I had to fill it. And honestly, I'm not coming up with much. Sometimes, you just go with what you have. And if it doesn't fit, you change it. For instance, I had these two oil rubbed bronze metal panels, HUGE things that I got on clearance at Hobby Lobby. In my last house, they fit pretty well:
This was taken during Halloween last year--you can see my Witches' trunk. But you see how big they are. Well, I'm totally married to them. But the inside of my house now is...well...very gray and white. Not much oil rubbed bronze. It's a phase, I know, but I didn't want to get rid of them. So, I consulted King Krylon: (*wink*)
And with some spraying and a stint outside in the hot sun to dry, voila! I had new panels!
I put them up in my loooonng hallway, and I think they broke it up very nicely:

And I went a little "nuts" at At Home, and I bought two hallway credenzas that weren't big enough and I put them TOGETHER and made one long big credenza. I'm pretty pleased with the result:
Then Overstock.com provided the long hallway table in antiqued cream, and I knick-knacked it up:

Right now I'm still trying to figure out the setup of the stairs alcove:
I have the fun bench, the coat rack and a little table, but not sure what to put on the wall. A clock looks weird. A whitewashed wreath looks weird. A square/rectangle picture looks weird. So what do I put there?? To be continued...
Oh, and about the Biscuits--I don't mean biscuits in the British sense (which are technically cookies), I mean good old fashioned American-as-apple-pie BISCUITS. I am IN LOVE with a new Keto recipe I discovered. It's a recipe (that uses Carbquik of course) for BAKING POWDER BISCUITS. And they are so SO good:
I had mine with a TB of sugar free jam. They are buttery enough you don't need butter, which is great. One biscuit is 2 net carbs. Add the jam and my whole breakfast (with Keto Cocoa) was five net carbs!! 
THE RECIPE:
The Hopeless Anglophile's Keto Baking Powder Biscuits:
Servings: 8
Ingredients:
-2 Cups Carbquik
-4 Tb cold butter, chopped up
-1 heaping TB Baking Powder
-1/2 to 3/4 cups heavy cream
-2 Tb egg white (optional) 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix the chunks of cold butter with the Carbquik and baking powder by hand or with a food processor. Add egg whites and then add cream slowly, and combine to form a sticky dough. Don't roll, just knead the dough with your hands and pat into a biscuit, or form and cut with a biscuit cutter. Don't overwork them, or they won't be light and fluffy. 
Set biscuits onto a baking sheet (I use one lined with a Silpat) and stick them in the freezer for about 3-5 minutes. You can skip this step, but they will be lighter and fluffier the colder the butter is when it goes into the oven. 
Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the biscuits are set and golden brown on the top. Remove from oven and let them cool almost completely.
Note: These are very "crumbly" biscuits (especially if you omit the egg whites) so be patient. They taste AMAZING. And they freeze super well. I just freeze them individually and pop one out onto the counter to defrost while I make breakfast. Don't reheat them, they will fall apart. But you will love them. They taste like old fashioned Baking Powder biscuits and that's all I care about. 
2 net carbs per biscuit. YES PLEASE.

No comments:

Post a Comment