Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Rugs and Pancakes!!!

I know, a bit of an eclectic title--but I am loving putting new decor in my new home. We just got this rug from At Home and I am in LOVE with it:
It's so fun. (Yeah, nice shot of the vacuum, I know). The rug really goes well with my decor.
 So, love the rug. And now, I can love breakfast too. I am on day 4 of Keto, and it's kind of rough. Before Keto, this was my normal go-to breakfast:
Breakfast of champions, right there. Anyway, with Keto, can't have that. Or most cereals for that matter. But I can have PANCAKES. 

Now let me tell you about Keto Pancakes. They are GROSS. If you are looking for fluffy buttermilk pancakes that taste amazing, well, you're generally SOL. I've tried probably a dozen different types of pancake recipes, trying to find one that actually resembles pancakes. (I've learned not to trust pictures on Pinterest.) Most are too eggy. Or too grainy. (Did I mention I loathe almond and coconut flour because they just aren't the same?) People rave about these eggy, grainy "pancakes." All my pancake tries went right into the garbage. Or I swallowed them down in a hurry because I was hungry. 

And then the lightbulb went on: CARBQUIK.

Carbquik really is my go to for things recently. So, I decided to take the basic eggs/almond flour/cream cheese pancake recipe I found on Pinterest, and I added my own touch. Carbquik! The result? These pancakes are fluffy. They almost taste buttermilk-y. They are DIVINE. And only three net carbs for the entire stack of four pancakes. With Kerrygold and Lakanto Maple Syrup they are FOUR NET CARBS. I can have pancakes again! And I don't have to choke them down! HOORAY!! I just have to share:

The Hopeless Anglophile's "Buttermilk Pancakes":

Ingredients are very simple:

-2 oz. full fat cream cheese, softened (I soften mine in the microwave, like 15 seconds)
-1 large egg
-3 Tb Egg whites (this keeps it from tasting eggy)
-1 packet or 1/2 tsp Truvia
-3 level Tb Carbquick

You add all the ingredients to a medium bowl and you mix--with a hand mixer.
Whisking just doesn't cut it. A powerful hand mixer blends everything really well. Mix until your mixture resembles normal pancake batter. Let the batter rest for a few minutes. (I unfortunately didn't let mine "rest" very long for these pictures, so my pancakes aren't as fluffy, but you get the jist.)
Grease up a griddle with some refined coconut oil and make some pancakes!
Look at these babies:
Like seriously, yum. Add Kerrygold butter and Lakanto Maple Flavored syrup, and you are in BUSINESS. The business of PANCAKE ENJOYMENT.
These pancakes aren't eggy. They're not grainy. Normally, they're fluffier than this picture (letting the batter rest is key) but they taste AH-MAAAA-ZING. I can't stress this enough. 
So, my typical Eggs&Bacon breakfast doesn't have to be. I can have pancakes every day. 4 Net grams of carb for the whole meal (3 for the pancakes, 1 for the Lakanto). Color me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment