Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Thursday, September 6, 2018

I'm BAAAAAACK!!! And Low Carb...

Ah, moving is...lame, stupid, exhausting, and NOT FUN. But we survived. And I finally am getting this house to where I want it. And I love my new kitchen:
The island was originally white but I love contrasts so we had the builders paint it a dark brownish gray. And I finally have my farmhouse sink!
It's kind of taking some getting used to (stainless steel looks amazing but it's a horror to keep clean) because I'm used to a much smaller sink. I could give myself a bath in this thing. 
But I love my new appliances and can't wait to get cooking and baking in here! Speaking of which, I have found a way to cheat on my breakfast sandwiches. You know the ones, the toasted English muffin with bacon, egg and cheese...well, since I am a low carber, I figured out a way to make the entire sandwich ONE carb. Not kidding. 
And it tastes amazing:
Let me just say that I absolutely HATE Keto. Sure, it works, but I cannot eat stuff made with ALMOND FLOUR or COCONUT flour, ugh and yuck. My taste buds just revolt. The texture is all wrong when I try and make breads with these flours. And I end up making a face and throwing it all away. But I do love love love CARBQUIK:
Sorry, the pic is a little blurry. But I use two tablespoons in my "Low Carb English Muffin" recipe and the whole thing is ONE carb.
And yes, of course it's not a real English Muffin. But it tastes close enough that I can stand it. 
So here is what I do: (You make it in the microwave!)

Add an egg, strip of crispy bacon and freshly sliced cheddar and YUM. And the whole thing is ONE CARB. Or, if you're feeling like a scone, add a packet of Truvia to the mix before you cook it. Then slather with sugar free jam (careful, it adds some carbs) and clotted cream and you honestly can't tell it's low carb. 

That's my take--if it's close enough, you can mask the "off" taste with other stuff and it passes for the real thing just fine. 
Now, it happier news, I FOUND A PLATE that I've been looking for, like FOREVER:
 It's that no-name reproduction china that I love so much, and I have the matching Madison Bay Company Tea set and a few other pieces, but I was missing a dinner plate. Finding this plate was as easy as finding...a unicorn. Seriously. NO ONE likes to sell theirs. But I finally found one on Ebay. After a year of searching. And it's all mine. Hooray! Now I have all the pieces I need for a lovely green transferware breakfast! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment