Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Roses..in May?

Well, Royal Albert's "Moonlight Rose" pattern, anyway. ;-)
I was having breakfast this morning with it and I was really struck by how pretty it is. I'm still surprised it was discontinued (Why, Royal Albert, WHY?). I just love blue and white, and this is one of the few patterns in my humble opinion, that can pull off such an abundance of gold trim:
Die-hard "Old Country Roses" enthusiasts would disagree with me, and I will admit, the gold does match better with the warmer tones of OCR. But, I think it's a good compliment to the blue and white and cool colors as well. Which normally doesn't look all that great with gold, if we are being honest...
 I think what attracts me to Royal Albert is the aesthetics of the pieces themselves; the "Montrose style" round curves and elegant handles, it's all very pleasing. And very British. (Think "Mrs. Potts" and "Chip" from Beauty And The Beast. I believe they were patterned after the Montrose style. ;-) In the past I would have called this style "stuffy" or "fussy," but now, bring on the stuffy and fussy. I love it. 
And look at that little teapot? It's the rare 1 pt. size. I have a bigger teapot from this pattern, but I am partial to this size. It's adorable. Perfect for a breakfast of one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment