Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

I'm a Convert...Of Sorts...

...to Gold Trim, that is. 
I am NOT usually a fan of gold trim on china. I don't know why. I'm more of a silver person. (Which is why my Noritake Greenbrier wedding china was silver trimmed.) But I am starting to like it. Take this Noritake Polonaise, for example. Let's be honest, they went HEAVY on the gold trim:
See? GOLD EVERYWHERE. Ten years ago I would have been like "uh uh. No way." But there's something about the trim, with the blue and white and the scrolling...it really works for me. 
I'm sure you've heard of Royal Albert Old Country Roses. Well, I had a complete Tea service and lots of pieces in the 90's. And they are GOLD GOLD GOLD trimmed:
Photo from Goddess of Eats
After a while I was kind of tired of it. Don't ask me why. O.C.R. is the most popular Royal Albert pattern ever. Like EVER. But it just wasn't working for me. I always thought it was a little "fussy." So, when we fell on hard times early in our marriage and I needed to start selling my china, guess what went first? ;-) 
Now, in my opinion, Royal Albert got it right with "Moonlight Rose." I mean, the stuff is GORGEOUS:
This is a photo from a seller on Etsy. LOOK AT THE COLORS. And of course, Moonlight Rose is discontinued. (What were you thinking, Royal Albert People?) But I scored some--that will be for another post. But the gold and the cool colors of the roses are a perfect match, in my opinion.
So, I'm getting "converted" to the idea of gold trim. I'll just have to get over the fact that it comes off after a lot of uses. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment