Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

A Guilty Pleasure: Clotted Cream

One thing that stinks about not living in the U.K.? I can't have fresh clotted cream delivered to my door. Nope. I have to go to a specialty grocer or World Market to find it:
It's HIDEOUSLY expensive. About 8 or 9 dollars for a teeny jar. And the worst part? After you open it and enjoy it, it needs to be refrigerated, and once it is, it's UN-USABLE. The cream becomes so thick you can't spread it, and if you try to bring it to room temperature, it becomes white slime. SO disappointing. I mean, I want to be able to use it during the whole week, AS IF I am going to eat an entire jar in one sitting! No no no!
So--what to do? Well, you can make your own clotted cream, but in my opinion, it takes way too long and you waste a ton of cream for just a little bit of clotted cream and although the result is quite rewarding, who has time for that? So, I have formulated my own recipe, by looking at others' recipes and trial and error. The cream I make is more like Devonshire cream, but I don't care. It's FABULOUS:
And it makes quite a bit, that I can enjoy for up to two weeks if I keep it in an airtight container in my fridge. And the best part? It takes very little prep, about two minutes to make, and only has two ingredients!
Pshaw, you say? I kid you not. This is all I use. A lot of bloggers put in sugar and sour cream and butter, and I do have a version I used to make with those things, but if you want something as close to the original as possible, without all the work, this recipe does it for me. It's simple:
Mock Clotted/Devonshire Cream:
Ingredients:
-3 oz. Regular Cream Cheese, room temperature
-8 oz. Heavy Whipping Cream
Directions:
Set cream cheese out on counter until room temperature and totally soft. Dump it into a small mixing bowl, and beat with a hand mixer until creamy. Add whipping cream, and beat until stiff peaks form. (You can tell when it's the right consistency, it will look just like clotted cream!)
AND THAT'S IT. 
It looks and tastes A-MAAAAZING:
You can serve it right away, or put in an airtight container for up to two weeks. (Just make sure your cream cheese and cream have expiration dates beyond two weeks! Or you'll regret it haha.) 
 It's sooo good! And sooo easy. I love easy. It makes my day. ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment