Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

"Romantic England" By Alfred Meakin

If I think about it, this was truly the first transferware pattern I collected. I remember it was about 17 years ago, I was on Ebay, and I wanted a transferware breakfast set. So, I put that in the search engine, and I found this lot of blue and white "Romantic England" by Meakin. It was so pretty, I had to have it. And my bid won! I got the tea service, mugs, plates and bowls. No teacups or platters; I collected those later. And the soup tureens aren't Meakin, they just go really well. ;-) 
 The scenes are elegant and pastoral, with Tudor houses and cottages and churches and English Countryside. So pretty. 
This was my first set, which I've built on, and with my breakfast this morning I used my Meakin plus a few odd pieces that aren't Meakin, but go nicely. I know, it's all very "Downton Abbey" of me. But that's how I roll.
The teapot is reproduction from China, but it's perfect for breakfast or single-person tea. Holds about 10 oz. and I use it all the time.
The tureen is "Old Britain Castles" by Johnson Brothers. (I have a set of that I will post about another time.) So elegant.

All I can say is, there is a reason there are websites out there dedicated to Blue and White Transferware. My personal favorite is in the U.K., called "Lovers of Blue and White." I have ordered quite a few pieces from them. They are super friendly with stellar customer service and communication, and they pack VERY well when they ship to me here in the U.S.A. Go on their website. You won't be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment