Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Does Anyone Like Transferware Anymore?

I remember in early 2000, there were transferware teasets and teapots and serveware and pieces all over the place. Blue, Red/Pink, Purple, Green, Black, those were the most popular. The store I worked at had "Johnson Brothers Old Britain Castles" as one of the pattern choices in the BRIDAL department. And I bought tons of transerware online. My favorite kind was the reproduction transferware that looked old but was new. Case in point, my newest acquisition from the Gettysburg Museum Store:

It's called "Red Flower" by Madison Bay Company, which I will get to in a minute. But the pieces are SO pretty and what's best about them? You can USE them. They are NEW. So, yes, my favorite kind of transferware is the fake kind. But moving on...
When you go into a department store, do you find any transferware? Nope. It's all modern pieces. Modern prints. Polka dots. Stripes. Plain and simple. Nothing like the beautiful dishes from the 18th and 19th and 20th centuries. Nowadays transferware is called "fussy" and "old fashioned." Well, I refuse to believe it. Especially with the Farmhouse Decor movement, transferware in an antiqued hutch is the way to go. So, I fully believe transferware is making a bit of a comeback. Maybe to be displayed only, but there are enough of us still around to make it current. My daughter, who is 20, she LOVES transferware for her farmhouse decor. 

I am concerned with the availability of the reproduction transferware, however. Madison Bay Company told me that the company in china that manufactures their transferware pieces has gone out of business. (I've mentioned this in previous posts). So, I've snatched up a lot of pieces online, before they can't be found anywhere. And I'm hoarding it like no one's business. Because it's so pretty and functional. But I have to wonder, are there others like me out there? Who appreciate this beautiful stuff? I see a lot of pinterest posts about it, so there is hope. 
Until then, I will continue to post pics of my transferware. New and Old. Because I just can't get enough of it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment