Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Thursday, March 8, 2018

A French Country Breakfast

Ah, breakfast in bed with Blue Transferware. I've got eggs and bacon under that lid, with hot tea and porridge with blueberries. I love porridge, and this kind has only 2 net carbs, made with defatted almond flour and flax seed. I make it when I want something hot and filling for breakfast. I'll attach the recipe at the end. (My water goblet got filled after the picture too--didn't want it to spill!)
...But back to the Transferware. These are pieces I've collected over the years. Some are Madison Bay Company, others are pieces I bought 10-15 years ago. They all have the same mark:
Double Lions and a Crown. Since all of the pieces shown are Antique Reproductions, they were most likely made in China. But apparently the company that made them has gone out of business, so these pieces can only be found online on sites like Ebay and Etsy, and a few Civil War sites, etc.. 
I take good care of them--and I always hand wash when I'm done. I don't care what anyone says, if you want dishes to last, you hand wash them right after you use them, in not-too-hot soapy water and dry them with a soft dishtowel. And they will last beautifully.

I love all Transferware colors, Blue, Red, Green--I don't have much experience with Purple, but there are some gorgeous patterns out there. It takes you back to another time. And it is elegant, too. I'd take Transferware over plain, modern dishes anytime!
Here is the recipe for Almond Flour Porridge. The consistency is more like Cream of Wheat, which I grew up with and adore.
(I found it on Low Carb Maven):

Almond Flour Porridge Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons Sukrin Defatted-Almond-Flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground golden flax
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 large beaten egg
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon Sukrin Gold
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Instructions:
  1. Traditional Method: Measure the first 4 ingredients into a small pot and place over medium high heat.
  2. When the mixture begins to simmer, turn the heat down to medium and whisk until it thickens and becomes hot.
  3. Remove from the heat and add the beaten egg, little by little, whisking all the while. Place back over medium heat and whisk quickly until the porridge gets thick. Remove from the heat and whisk for 30 seconds more.
  4. Whisk in the butter, Sukrin Gold, and cream. (Can use coconut milk)
  5. Garnish this low carb almond porridge with your favorite ingredients and enjoy!
  6. Microwave Instructions: Mix all of the ingredients together in a microwaveable bowl until thoroughly combined. Cook on hi power in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until thick and hot.
Recipe Notes
Only Sukrin's Defatted-Almond-Flour will work in this particular recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment