Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Monday, February 12, 2018

Will You Be Mine...

Ah, Valentine's Day. My son, who is in elementary school, used to make hand-made valentines for his class. My favorites were his Minecraft themed ones a few years back:

I even made him a sweet valentines box:
I was pretty proud of it. Nowadays, I go to the local Target store and grab something sport-themed for him and a bag of heart shaped suckers or something like that. He's not as into "hand made" things as he used to be. With the mass commercialization of Valentine's Day, it's easy to pick something up in bulk. 

In the Regency Era, Valentine's Day was the same sentiment, but different execution. According to Donna Hatch
"Celebrating Valentine’s Day in Regency England was very different from the way we celebrate it today. It consisted of gentlemen and ladies–even people of all classes–exchanging hand-made cards with hand-written verses. During the Victorian Era, Valentine’s Day cards became mass produced, but in the Regency, such a gesture required more thought and care.
Cards sent were as varied as the senders. Some were made with gilt-edged paper, trimmed with lace–real lace, not paper lace since that had not yet been invented. They could be embossed or have gold overlay or even with sequins. Those who could not afford such luxuries made them out of simple paper, which was still an expensive commodity for the less affluent. Flowers seemed to be the most common decoration but cards were also decorated with hearts, birds, and cupids."
I think we definitely have it easier than they had it then! But easier doesn't necessarily mean better. Right?

Here is my idea of a great Valentine's Morning breakfast tray:
 This is my red transferware I've collected here and there over the years. It's mostly reproduction (with a few Johnson Bros. Old Britain Castles pieces), but I think it's gorgeous.



Happy Valentine's all! (I know it's not until Wednesday but I have a VERY full day and won't be able to post.)


No comments:

Post a Comment