Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Monday, August 7, 2017

China Used in Movies: "Screen Two" Persuasion 1995


I LOVE the TV version of "Persuasion," with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds:
But I especially love the dishes: like the Spode Blue Italian used when Anne talks individually with the Musgroves, or after the "very long walk"... 
 And I had a devil of a time finding out what pattern Mary Musgrove and Anne used in the "I see I've intruded on your breakfast" scene, where Anne finally sees Captain Wentworth for the first time in 8 years:
After a few hours of careful searching, I concluded that it is the "Canton" pattern by Royal Doulton:

Of course "Canton" has been retired since 1995, so it is a bit expensive and hard to find. I managed to get my hands on a few plates, a creamer and a cute little jar, but I REFUSE to spend $349+ for the teapot! Maybe one day I'll find one for $10 at a garage sale. *wink*
I love love LOVE the cream soup bowls. Even if Anne and Mary using them is historically inaccurate, I love the pattern. It is beautiful. 

Now I just need to find out what china pattern Anne was using while she gazed pensively out the tea shop window at Bath!





No comments:

Post a Comment