Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Friday, August 4, 2017

What's Up With the Beans?


I love breakfast. It’s my absolutely FAVORITE meal of the day. So many choices, so many options. And I love breakfast on pretty china dishes, even more. I have some great breakfast sets I’ve purchased for such occasions. I have the “Marguerite” pattern by Royal Winton (it’s really old so I don’t use it much, just sort of stare at it and think it’s pretty):


And my all-time favorite Wade breakfast set:
And years ago I bought this amazing breakfast set (Meakin Romantic England) and I’ve added to it over the years:
 
But enough about the dishes. Back to the FOOD! My breakfast yesterday morning was pretty basic:
I always have eggs in some form, a protein, and toast or muffins with butter and jam. Then, there is the traditional English Breakfast:


There’s one thing about a truly English breakfast I don’t understand. Beans? Why beans? I mean, the tomatoes and mushrooms I get, but beans? Where is the appeal? For me, beans are something you eat when you have backyard-grilled hamburgers and potato salad. But…beans for breakfast? This girl says...um...okay?
Then again, for perspective, years ago at BYU, my roommate, who was from Australia, thought the fact I put peanut butter on my toast was abjectly disgusting. She used Vegemite on her toast,
which I won’t say much about other than I think after trying it I dubbed it "Satan's Vaseline," so, I guess to each his own?
 Happy Breakfasting! With or without beans!

(Hint: try it on pretty dishes. It makes a real difference!) 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Site! Can't wait to learn more! (Mom)

    ReplyDelete