Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

High Tea...For Just Me.

Laugh all you want, but I LOVE some of the English traditions. Since I am not currently staying in a hotel in the U.K. (or any posh hotel in the U.S. that offers High Tea), and I'm actually stranded in my house on a cold winter's day, I decided I needed some cheering up. So, I baked some scones (I love this recipe from Plated Cravings), and put together some cucumber/dill & egg salad finger sandwiches. Add some tea and Voila--High Tea for one!
It's not fancy schmancy like a REAL High Tea, but it was just for me-- so I'm good. (Warning, High Tea is not for low carb/sugar diets! If I'm going to splurge on carbs, THIS is the one time to do it.) And look at these sandwiches. Aren't they cute?
I slathered my scone with butter (don't judge) and some rhubarb-strawberry preserves and Devonshire cream and my oh my was it sooooo good!
I think buying clotted/Devonshire cream in a jar is A) expensive and B) silly because you can make it fresh at home! I made the cream earlier and stored it in the refrigerator, and unfortunately, I just couldn't wait to get it to room temperature! (That is what you're supposed to do with clotted cream/Devonshire cream, it tastes/spreads better that way.) But it was so fun and so delicious. 
Cheered me right up!

But if you really would like to know how to P-R-O-P-E-R-L-Y set up an afternoon Tea For One: Ellen Easton describes the how and why in this article, titled "A Proper Afternoon Individual Tea Setting." It's VERY informative! I had no idea there were so many RULES! But I am happy to remain ignorant, and make rules up for myself. However I do know the "3-Tier Rule" for High Tea. When you have the 3-Tier server, it always goes this way:
afternoon tea
Sandwiches and Savories on the bottom, Scones/Biscuits with Jam and Cream in the middle, and Desserts and Treats on the top. So simple. Have to remember that!

No comments:

Post a Comment