Musings of an Austen-loving, tea drinking historian and enthusiast of all things British. Also obsessed with Breakfast on pretty dishes. Oh, and sometime writer.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."    --Jane Austen

I love, adore, cherish, covet, embrace, you name it...all things British. I've always told my friends I was born in the wrong era, on the wrong side of the pond, and a love of British culture and history is in my blood. Perhaps it's my English lineage, through my mother. 
I started young. At nine years old, I begged my parents to let me stay up all night long, so at 2 a.m. in the morning I could sit in front of the TV and watch, mesmerized, as Lady Diana arrived in her fairytale carriage in her enormous wedding dress, ready to marry her prince. 
British royalty was so cool. And so fascinating. And it all went downhill from there. I was hooked. 
Over the years, I have collected ever so many tea sets. And read ever so many history books. And I have read every book by Jane Austen and watched every Jane Austen movie imaginable. Some of them I love, some of them I hate, but like to watch anyway because of the clothes and the beautiful china and the hand-written letters sealed with wax and the empire-waisted gowns and the properness (yes, I know it's not a word) of the Regency era. I should have lived then, and there. But, I had the misfortune of being born in California in the 1970's, about 177 years too late. 
History aside, I love the British people, their humor and their vernacular, and their tea time rituals. But mostly, I love the history. And I always will. 
So, if you will indulge me, I will post about the things I love, and hopefully you will love some of them too.


No comments:

Post a Comment